Monday, August 5, 2013

FAITH

I would like to share my thoughts on faith for a moment. Whoever is reading this, dear friends, potential missionaries we all will have those moments where faith is essential to progress. I have always loved one quote by President Uchtdorf "It is your reaction to adversity, not the adversity itself, that determines how your life’s story will develop." While preparing for a mission I have been given many opportunities to test and strengthen my faith. A lot of the time it has been painful and hard but I have also heard that the quote 'God doesn't give us anything that we can't handle.' is very wrong. The Lord will give us challenges and we aren't supposed to handle them on our own. Rather God doesn't give us anything that we cannot handle without his help. I have learned that adversities will come but they can be seen as blessings to draw closer to the Lord and realize He truly is in the details of our lives and He longs for us to draw near unto Him. 

  
Just in this week that I am to enter the field I have had some extreme challenges that have nearly knocked me off my feet and have tested my faith more than I could have ever imagined. As I have sat crying on the floor after a series of events I could feel this force almost wanting to shove me to the ground to make me cry 'I give up! I can't do this!' Then there is another side, there is a particle of faith inside me that prompts me to get to my knees and pray for the Lord's help. That is when you can feel your words reaching heaven, you know that He is listening and that He is close. You don't have to do anything alone. He has everything beautifully crafted in His hands. That's when you're able to get up off the ground and have the strength that comes with choosing to be on the Lord's side. 
 

Franklin D. Roosevelt said: 

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important than fear."

That is what I should be feeling right now. Our faith just needs to be bigger than our fears. Fear may still be present as we stand at these battle lines but never let it overcome you. The Lord is our leader. We will be strong and courageous.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment