Monday, August 5, 2013

The beginning




Deciding to serve a mission I feel will be one of the best decisions I ever made. I had a wonderful seminary teacher my sophomore Book of Mormon year and his favorite subject was missionary work. At that time in my life I was going through some other various events and it ultimately lead me to receive my own testimony of this Gospel. These events instilled in me a desire to serve a mission. I had come to realize the many blessings the gospel brings. Even in the hardest trials there was always a place to turn to, I had gained a testimony through daily prayer and scripture study. I wished to be a 24/7 instrument in the Lord's hands to bring these glorious news to His children!

As I look back I feel very grateful for the experiences that the Lord has given me to keep that same goal in mind, I had the opportunity to participate in a service project building a house in Mexico and I learned that I can make a difference in the world. It is all about the change in our hearts and our attitude. I met such wonderful people and they will continue to be life long examples to me. I had this desire to once again forget myself and do a work greater than myself.

After high school, I was attending institute in the fall waiting to head up to BYU-Idaho in the winter. While in this phase of life the Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson made a very exciting announcement about the mission age change. Elders could now serve at 18 and sisters could now serve at 19. I was totally shell shocked but this excitement went through me. This was life changing! What seemed as a far away possible dream was now right in front of me starring me in the face! It was exciting to feel the urgency of missionary work. Something that was interesting to me was the EFY CD the summer before, to me, was all about missionary work. Being worthy and excited for that opportunity and now look HERE WE GO!!!  I also thought about how much this would change our Mormon culture! ha ha! It was so neat to see Facebook explode with new potential mission dates. For me personally I knew this was something great to consider for my future but that it also had to be done prayerfully. I had see how the Lord had guided my paths in the past and I knew that He would guide my future to the place I need to be. I continued dating this young man I had met at institute and I know that I learned many valuable things from that relationship to prepare me for where I am now. 

It was then January and time to head up to Rexburg, I had no idea really what I was doing with my life and at that time I felt like my life was falling apart, I was heart broken and I didn't want to go. Then I got involved in the learning and the people there. Now looking back, that was the best ultimate pre-mission decision preparation center! One night I was running with a dear friend and reflecting on the Will of God, how He had led me to the most beautiful place, exactly where I needed to be at that time. This friend was a returned missionary so I would ask him many questions about his experiences. While making a lap around the indoor track this feeling came to my heart that said 'Maegan, you can serve a mission too.' It was so dear and sweet. We have our agency, that is how it works but I was almost given a confirmation to progress in that way. I had to stop and just throw my hands in the air and shout for joy!!! My heart was pounding and I felt this wonderful happiness!!! These actually turned out to be the hardest yet most exhilarating months of my life! there was some other various obstacles but ultimately they all pointed me in the direction of a mission.

I felt opposition like I had never felt before, but at the same time I witnessed some of the sweetest tender mercies, and powerful inspired addresses. As we continue in the way of the Lord we will find how there really is opposition in all things, as we draw closer to Him we will are choosing a higher road which will be more difficult at times but is filled with greater joy and fulfillment than can be found anywhere else. Things are still very scary and nerve wracking at times but it just goes to show that these are the last days!!! we in the middle of a war and guess what? As missionaries we get to be at the front line!


FEAR NOT, THOU THE ENEMY DERIDE; WE MUST HAVE COURAGE FOR THE LORD IS ON OUR SIDE. WE WILL HEED NOT WHAT THE WICKED MAY SAY, BUT THE LORD ALONE WE WILL OBEY.



No comments:

Post a Comment